Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Some thoughts on TERRA NOVA


Just before Christmas, TERRA NOVA finished its first season of 13 episodes (most TV shows get around 22 episodes, but apparently TERRA NOVA is really expensive). 

As I blogged in October, the premise is that in a dystopian twenty-second century, a time portal has been discovered which allows travel to an indeterminate location some 85 million years in the past. Humanity has established an outpost there and is sending colonists back in "waves."  The show follows the adventures and tribulations of the Shannon family, consisting of Jim Shannon, Dr. Elisabeth Shannon, and their three children Josh, Maddie, and Zoe.

No decision has yet been made on whether there will be a second season.  It is apparently noteworthy, however, that the options of two of the stars have been picked up.

In situations like this, fan input is reported to be important in influencing network executives.  If you want to see a second season of TERRA NOVA, here are two ways you can make your voice heard:  You can sign the twitter petition here.  And, per the suggestion of Jason O'Mara, who plays Jim Shannon, you can send plastic dinosaurs to the head of Fox, Kevin Reilly.  Here's the link with the address: Send plastic dinosaurs.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that there are issues with the show.  The premise is a little dicey and there are some glaring examples of fridge logic plot holes.  The dinosaurs are okay, although a little too mix and match for my taste (and there aren't enough of them!).  My biggest global issue, though, is that there seems to be very little sense of wonder and very little interest in exploring.  I mean, here you are in an awe-inspiring pristine earth populated by dinosaurs, and nobody wants to go and check them out? 

One of the problems, I think, is that the show has only had 13 episodes, and a large cast, which makes it hard to "get into" and care about the characters.  Toward the end of the season they were getting more interesting.  (FWIW, I think I was only able to start liking STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION and STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE after two full seasons.  (Actually, TERRA NOVA sort of reminds me a bit of DEEP SPACE NINE meets MY SO-CALLED LIFE)). 

Anyway, I think the show has promise and would be sorry to see it go down after only one season.

1 comment:

Meredith Davis said...

For what it's worth, my boys are BIG fans of the show, especially my ten year old. Thanks for the links, I know he''ll be petitioning to keep it around!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...