Friday, July 10, 2009

Conans Pizza

Day 2 of the Pizza-a-day Plan!

Conans Pizza (603 W. 29th Street and other locations). I last went to Conans Pizza when I was in grad school and it was on Guadalupe where the Kerbey Lane now is. All I remember is that it wasn't bad, that the decor was a riot (a Conan the Barbarian motif, of course), and that it was my first experience with Shiner Bock. And, until recently, I'd thought they'd gone out of business.

But Conans has been around since 1976 and serves a deep dish pizza they say is "inspired by an old Chicago recipe" and bill themselves as having "The Best Deep Dish Pan Pizza in Texas" (although this may be damning with faint praise :-)).

I ordered The Savage (this has sausage, pepperoni, hamburger, mushrooms, black olives, onions, green peppers, with jalapenos and anchovies optional.). And a Conans salad to keep up the pretension of healthy eating.

The pizza arrived promptly after about forty-five minutes, still warm in its insulated delivery bag. It was slightly thinner than I was expecting, although still definitely deep dish. It was tasty but a little doughy -- I'm not sure about putting the cheese on top of the ingredients. Still, not terrible, and I did have a great feeling of nostalgia whilst eating it. :-).

Oh, and for the law geeks out there: yes, it's the same Conans from Conan Properties vs. Conan's Pizza, 752 F.2d 145 (5th Cir. 1985).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...