Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens, ill. by P.J. Lynch (Candlewick, 2006)

Okay, everyone knows the story...Scrooge, Marley's ghost, Christmas past, present, and yet to come, Tiny Tim, etc.

I haven't actually read it since freshman year of high school, so when we received the gorgeous Candlewick edition this fall, Cyn and I decided to read it aloud the week before Christmas. The art, by P.J. Lynch, is amazing, and Candlewick made the laudable production choice to make the text actually be readable. (You know what I mean -- half the problem with reading the "classics" is that they're often in this horrible edition with tiny, dense type that's almost intended to defend the thing from being read). The art and design here make you want to sink in and read it aloud (the way I imagine it was supposed to be experienced). I highly recommend this edition.

And, this'll probably be my last post before Christmas, so I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, and, to VS, a Merry Festivus.

"...and it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...